Re: xfs_repair aborting ... dir2.c:2133

To: "Eric Sandeen" <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfs_repair aborting ... dir2.c:2133
From: "Paul Guermonprez" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 21:00:43 +0200
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=googlemail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender :to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references :x-google-sender-auth; bh=FoYlgcZh9oHfTPcg37yVSIelaz7Q7sbPvWmLfz70iwc=; b=xX9ISO4J3qRCjUCng8UplTvItSbAYMoUtNySJifb/B7DU4iWB4/vfyXL1HqRc5nO3B Jzfa/e+Ww3UnfcHa/4rzswtbCM+Pc3M/F9SSa9TaEsHxmVSKtkmv/blXXUNc/Bk/Z7sz /hFqzgO2+yDNcIyeVhDxMHgD6gnLfzoimi9Ao=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=googlemail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version :content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition :references:x-google-sender-auth; b=Aoyk9aLw7PR9nOrDxOhXdbijofSm8JrZU9ImXPzlSfOeQZ5HSzEmtsOSIpWpiXTMfh ta/cpvLX+Vd2DfdBAK5jKHC0i8RWlWyIwPz4wClAAErVYJH/FNT7pClp/7dYf/4PjPw/ QqSnLjZpf1sEGfvypBDBOak7F20xGFrog/ai4=
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx

> Do you mean that you did xfsrestore on a previous dump and then tried to
> repair the resulting filesystem?  Maybe the dump was corrupt?

i used dd to copy the xfs part of the original raid disk to my new disk.
in this ss4000e box, xfs partitions are contained in a big partition "IPSTOR"
(built on a raid linear) with a XML descriptor of start/end/...
for logical partitions inside.
so using regular tools was not a option as regular partitions are not seen.
the dd step seems to work fine, but of course i could always try
several times and see if the output is the same.
the output seems like a regular xfs partition,
xfs_repair then mounted as a loop
and got what i was able to get from lost+found.

> If you are willing to provide an xfs_metadump image, Barry would
> probably look into it for you :)

xfs_metadup has been running for more than 6 hours now
(xfs_db at 100% on a recent desktop CPU) and still running.
and all i have is a 230kb file, so i posted it here :
in theory the important part of the disk contains about
50 folders, with 50 tif files of 30Mo in each, plus other stuff.
tried the lastest version, now using 400%, nice but same result.

> Did anything interesting go wrong before your fs got so mangled?

as i was using this box, i wasn't in contact with the filesystem,
all i can say is that the raid is OK and the disk seem OK too.
( i know it's stupid to use such a box where everything is hidden
won't do it again ! )
the last thing was probably a crach of the system, and impossibility
to reboot the embedded OS of the thing with the drives in.

> xfsrestore did this?  that's pretty weird.

xfs_repair did this. i used dd to copy the data
but again i can't be totally sure of what kind of
strange XFS version IPSTOR is using, perhaps it is not even standard ???
tried to contact them with no luck.

in fact i am trying to exploit my miserable situation to write a
rescue guide for this box, but this last xfs problem is blocking me,
so thanks a lot for your help.

thanks, paul.