XFS performance tracking and regression monitoring

To: xfs-oss <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: XFS performance tracking and regression monitoring
From: Mark Goodwin <markgw@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 09:29:42 +1000
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx

We're about to deploy a system+jbod dedicated for performance regression tracking. The idea is to build the XFS dev branch nightly, run a bunch of self contained benchmarks, and generate a progressive daily report - date on the X-axis, with (perhaps) wallclock runtime on the y-axis.

The aim is to track relative XFS performance on a daily basis
for various workloads on identical h/w. If each workload runs for
approx the same duration, the reports can all share the same
generic y-axis. THe long term trend should have a positive
gradient. Regressions can be date correlated with commits.

Comments, benchmark suggestions? ANyone already running this?
Know of a test harness and/or report generator? Or will we
just roll our own - seems conceptually fairly simple.

Thanks

--

 Mark Goodwin                                  markgw@xxxxxxx
 Engineering Manager for XFS and PCP    Phone: +61-3-99631937