Re: 3ware 9650SE-16ML w/XFS & RAID6: first impressions

To: Hans-Peter Jansen <hpj@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 3ware 9650SE-16ML w/XFS & RAID6: first impressions
From: Maurice Hilarius <maurice@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 11:35:17 -0700
Cc: linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 3. Dezember 2008 schrieb Justin Piszcz:
>
>> For read speed, it appears that there is some overhead (2x). With
>> software raid6 I used to get 1.0Gbyte/sec read speed, or at least
>> 800MiB/s across the entire array, now I only get 538MiB/s across the
>> entire array. However, write speed is improved. Before it was in the mid
>> 400s for RAID6 and peaking at 502MiB/s at the outer edge of the drives.
>> For the write speed now, its around 620-640MiB/s at the end of the array
>> and 580-620MiB/s going in further and 502MiB/s across the entire array. I
>> always heard all of the horror stories with 3ware cards, it turns out
>> they're not so bad after all.
>>

> Hustin, if you're after speed, AND sane support, you may consider trying
> Areca products. I'm biased, since 3ware fed me up completely, when it came
> to a single drive failure in a RAID 5 setup: the support only provides an
> ugly web interface: when posting my problem, they replied with:

Nice Areca advertisement.

Of course you can demonstrate how their tech support responded, to a
similar DISK failure, with a better suggestion, and more promptly?

Buried for biased and irrelevant.

--
With our best regards,

//Maurice W. Hilarius         Telephone: 01-780-456-9771/
/Hard Data Ltd.                FAX:          01-780-456-9772/
/11060 - 166 Avenue         email:maurice@xxxxxxxxxxxx/
/Edmonton, AB, Canada         http://www.harddata.com//
/     T5X 1Y3/
/