XFS support for TRIM / blkdev_issue_discard?

To: Felix Blyakher <felixb@xxxxxxx>
Subject: XFS support for TRIM / blkdev_issue_discard?
From: Peter Niemayer <niemayer@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 16:44:01 +0200
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.kernel
Dear Felix Blyakher,

do you know whether there are plans to support the ATA TRIM command /
blkdev_issue_discard() call in XFS for Linux anytime soon?

I ask because as someone who is currently benchmarking solid state disks
for certain usage scenarios I noticed that other filesystems are starting
to support the discarding of unused blocks, which allows to prevent
performance-degradation of SSDs during heavy use.
(See e.g. http://www.mail-archive.com/cluster-devel@xxxxxxxxxx/msg03401.html
 on the GFS2 support for the discard feature, it seems not too hard
 to implement the support)

Amongst other SSDs, we have one in our tests that supports the ATA TRIM command,
and I would like to test the benefits of it, even if that requires me
to install an early kernel pre-release.

(Currently, XFS is our favorite filesystem for several reasons, so it would
be great if we could run our TRIM-support-benchmarks using it)

Regards,

Peter Niemayer