Re: file preallocation without unwritten flag being set

To: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: file preallocation without unwritten flag being set
From: p v <pvlogin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 16:51:48 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com; s=s1024; t=1242258708; bh=9JQ81/i+DcjQjWIPuJOK/RszOjm2huBwO1OY7FOb4P4=; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:References:Date:From:Subject:To:Cc:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=Wd108yZlH2ih7G8JR8zgI+0ZMbiAVbF1WWxJHJ1+/6w6NmpaHCjGgvo3BGcYUPONIQTgzI+FEpz7shi61ZJMI1QIzcyte9dph/SGdFSZUmd+02SqKWZcertV3ctoQDZT8hFtnlpquH44cl1343NqygopZR/fXgkNHHkKtT7eNCA=

I did it on a fresh filesystem (of course). It didn't make a difference - sb
flags cleared, extent flags set, xfs_repair unhappy. I tried to repro again and
do cut/paste of my steps but I lost the machine. The only difference this time
was that I was going to do it with the default mkfs and mount options. I
created the fs, cleared extflg from the superblocks and run xfs_io to resvsp
the space. Then I run truncate and truncate decided to initialize the extents
to zero and since it's 10TB it's going to take a while (can't reset as it's a
remote machine and xfs_io is looping in the kernel ...). It didn't do it before
and if I remember right the only differences were mkfs with 2048 size inodes
and mount options with noatime,nodiratime,inode64,allocsize=1g. Anyway - I'll
try it again on a different machine and send the steps. However the fact that
it did try to zero the reserved space tells me that the extent flags were not
set this time - and unfortunatelly
 it also means that it won't work - unless I do the previous workaround and
instead of calling truncate from xfs_io I'll do the xfs_db and set the inode
size directly - in fact now I remember that was exactly the reason why the
original steps were so tricky - truncate up would zero extents but xfs_db will
set the inode size to whatever without any problem.

Thanks for the info regarding the max extent size.

The man pages I am looking at (FC4, Centos5) don't have the xfs options like
allocsize, inode64. Probably should download the latest versions ...

I am a little bit lost about the comment regarding the page caches. I unmounted
the filesystem before running xfs_db. Shouldn't that flush pages, buffers, ...?
I assume that xfs_db goes directly to the device so if the fs was unmounted
then the device should be up to date?

thx

Peter Vajgel