Re: 2.6.31 xfs_fs_destroy_inode: cannot reclaim

To: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 2.6.31 xfs_fs_destroy_inode: cannot reclaim
From: Patrick Schreurs <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 12:15:42 +0200
Cc: Tommy van Leeuwen <tommy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Christoph Hellwig wrote:
On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 12:27:21PM +0200, Tommy van Leeuwen wrote:
Hello All,

We had this error reported on the list about 1 or 2 months ago. During
that time a lot of fixes were applied. However, we still experience
this problem with the recent 2.6.31 tree. We've also applied an extra
log entry to aid in debugging.

printk("XFS: inode_init_always failed to re-initialize inode\n");

However, we didn't see this logging!

Can you try the patch below, its does two things

 - remove all that reclaimable flagging if we reclaim the inode
   directly.  This removes any possibility of racing with the reclaiming
   thread.
 - adds asserts if one of the reclaim-related flags is already set.

Update: We've applied this patch on 2 servers. They didn't crash until now. Today we've applied the patch on 6 other servers.

We'll keep you posted.

-Patrick