Re: moving libhandle to /usr

To: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: moving libhandle to /usr
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 19:53:18 -0500
Cc: Mike Frysinger <vapier@xxxxxxxxxx>, nathans@xxxxxxxxxx, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Christoph Hellwig wrote:
On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 03:33:46PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
On Tuesday 06 October 2009 11:42:49 Christoph Hellwig wrote:
Currently we install the versioned libhandle into /lib by default,
and all other libraries into /usr.  Given that no program in / actually
uses libhandle this seems rather awkward to me.  From Mike's comments
in the past I think Gentoo already installs it into /usr anyway.

Is there anything speaking against moving all libraries to /usr and
switching Debian/Fedora to that aswell?
xfsdump uses it and xfsdump is installed into / by default right ? so libhandle needs to be in /lib so long as xfsdump is in /sbin.

Indeed, the makefile configuration currently builds it into /, while
the configure default uses /usr.  Yikes..

argh I did rpm -ql xfsprogs xfsdump | grep bin ... on a box that didn't have xfsdump installed. Argh.

Thanks for the catch Mike ;)

-Eric