Re: Slow performance

To: Steven Adams <stevezau@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Slow performance
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 23:27:59 -0500
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Steven Adams wrote:
Hi All,

I am using XFS for the first time of one of my servers. I was using rsync to copy the files from the old server to the new server and noticed that every 5-6 transfer the speeds would slow down to only 1-2MB/s and sometimes stop all together.

I suspected this was due to the cache/memory getting filled up so XFS has to write the changes to the sata drive. I tried to turn off write-cache and nobarriers but still have the same problem..

When i try it on the ext3 filesystem it runs at a constant transfer speed.

Is this normal with the XFS filesystem?

We looked at this a bit on irc tonight and even streaming direct IO to a contiguous xfs file was going very very slow. I think he also tested direct IO reads from the device, and found them slow as well, so the problem may well be beneath xfs.

-Eric