Re: BUG() in end_page_writeback(), stack overflows and system speed decr

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: BUG() in end_page_writeback(), stack overflows and system speed decrease with XFS over USB
From: Juergen Urban <JuergenUrban@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 02:00:12 +0100
On Friday 20 November 2009 18:08:12 Eric Sandeen wrote:
> Eric Sandeen wrote:
> > Juergen Urban wrote:

> >> No, I am using 8k stacks.
> >
> > Hmm.
>
> BTW if you are still seeing stack overflows when testing w/ the newer
> kernel, we can use some tracing to see what the stack backtrace is:
>
> sysctl -w kernel.stack_tracer_enabled=1
> mount -t debugfs none /sys/kernel/debug/
>
> and then look in:
>
> /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/stack_trace
> /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/stack_max_size

I don't think that I still get stack overflows in Linux 2.6.23.13.

Now I downloaded the new KNOPPIX with Linux 2.6.31.6. I've got also crashes
with it, but this also could be a stack overflow, because the kernel
configuration includes SMP and preemption. The problem here is that I don't see
any kernel message. I just see the blinking keyboard or sometimes even
nothing. To get the error I just need to play video with mplayer and don't
need to write to the file system at all. I need to wait until I've got a good
backtrace, but this will be with Linux 2.6.23.13.
The console tools of my installed Debian can't configure or use /dev/tty[0-9]*
of Linux 2.6.31.6. The ioctls are not supported. I installed a newer version
of the package, but this doesn't help. I copied the ".config" from Linux
2.6.23.13 to 2.6.31.6. Maybe this is not compatible.