Re: mounting hixfs (Hitachi "tuned" XFS) on 2.6 kernel

To: big beer <bigbeerjr@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: mounting hixfs (Hitachi "tuned" XFS) on 2.6 kernel
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 23:23:27 -0500
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
big beer wrote:

> So I went and changed the magic number to 0x58465342 by dumping the
> 1st 512 bytes off the volume, editing, and writing back, now I'm
> getting "Can't verify primary superblock". Using xfs_db to look at the
> other superblocks indeed still shows HXFS. Any advise how I can
> find/dump/re-write one of the other superblocks? I'd like to see if I
> can change another one of them if xfs_repair will run.

You can select each superblock and write it.

xfs_db -x /dev/blah
xfs_db> sb 1
xfs_db> write magicnum 0x58465342
xfs_db> sb 2
xfs_db> write magicnum 0x58465342

this could be scripted with -c <command1> -c <command2>

I don't know if they changed anything other than the magic though,
so you get to keep all pieces if it breaks!

-Eric