[RFC, PATCH 0/2] xfs: Fast zeroing of allocated space

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RFC, PATCH 0/2] xfs: Fast zeroing of allocated space
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 15:55:27 +1000
These two patches allow conversion of a written range of a file into
back into unwritten state. The first patch converts page cache
helper functions to use the correct range primitives as we need to
be able to toss (invalidate) pages only within the range specified,
not to to the end of the file as it currently uses.

The actual conversion also preallocates any holes in the range, so
it turns the entire range requested into allocated, unwritten
extents.

I also have a patch that adds this functionality to fallocate(). I
haven't tested that at all, but if this is something we want to
support, I'd suggest that we want fallocate to be able to do it...