Re: deleting 2TB lots of files with delaylog: sync helps?

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: deleting 2TB lots of files with delaylog: sync helps?
From: Michael Monnerie <michael.monnerie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 09:45:58 +0200
On Mittwoch, 1. September 2010 Dave Chinner wrote:
> Without delayed logging, 150MB/s is enough for a single threaded
> unlink to consume an entire CPU core on any modern CPU

Just as Stan I'm puzzled by this. Why is it such a hard work for the
CPU, what does it do? Is it really about calculating something, or has
it to do with lock contention, cold caches, cache line bouncing and
other "horrible" things so the CPU can't get it's maximum power? I'm
really curious to understand that.

Maybe there should be an extra SSE4 assembler instruction "rm on XFS" so
we can delete files faster? ;-)

--
mit freundlichen Grüssen,
Michael Monnerie, Ing. BSc