realtime partition support?

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: realtime partition support?
From: Phil Karn <karn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 06:36:16 -0800
Sender: Phil Karn <karn@xxxxxxxx>
What's the status of the realtime partition feature in XFS? I think I
read somewhere that it wasn't actually implemented and/or working in the
Linux XFS implementation, but I'm not sure. If it is in Linux, how well
tested is it?

It occurred to me that the XFS realtime feature might be a quick and
easy way to make a hybrid of a SSD and a rotating drive. Just create a
XFS file system on the SSD that specifies the rotating drive as its
realtime partition. This would put all the metadata on the SSD where it
can be quickly accessed at random.

Throughput on large files would be almost as fast as if everything were
on the SSD. Small files wouldn't be as fast, but still much faster than
with no SSD at all.

Phil