Re: xfstests: failure to umount ext4

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfstests: failure to umount ext4
From: Amir Goldstein <amir73il@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 17:33:19 +0200
Cc: XFS <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Ext4 Developers List <linux-ext4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date :message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=aam8ERlkyxKCgJdHRDt+bs8Es7vtrW0M4KCsTxFwGbc=; b=AMGF0enb8V/SK3rBYVtn3Y4fVbwACoECNS+Sq5i2cpqQthYkPNTwqzrBYrz85EhTqt Mt4bpoknU1imawpR7ouRdI+Cu6JAv8Zf7MJY1ONOix8fWCiX5CpBulI8TBe7g1NKJ9hS Ad+0kuOAR84DQ25GggnEMUme0i+B4MXLL+mCc=
On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 4:57 PM, Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 3/23/11 9:36 AM, Amir Goldstein wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 4:03 PM, Amir Goldstein <amir73il@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've been running xfstests on ext4 and I always get annoying failures to
>>> umount:
>>>
>>> 213 8s ... 31s
>>> umount: /mnt/test/ext4: device is busy.
>>>        (In some cases useful info about processes that use
>>>         the device is found by lsof(8) or fuser(1))
>>>
>>> post 198 mostly fails to umount as well.
>>> and post 124 always fails to umount.
>>>
>>> My server is Ubuntu 10.10, running kernel 2.6.38.
>>>
>>> Is there any known issue about this? because I could find it on google
>>> or on the XFS list.
>>>

>> Hi All,
>>
>> Has anyone seen these failures when running xfstests on ext4?
>> My test and scratch partitions are dedicated for xfstests.
>
> I've not seen it, can you investigate with lsof etc?

OK. I have not given complete information.
It does not fail indefinably. I can umount the fs immediately after the failure.
Only the test fails because fsck sees a mounted fs.
There must be a bit of a delay in the umount that causes the problem.

> They both work for me on a quick test, anyway, on a .38
> kernel.

Problem existed for me in .37 as well. I don't think it is kernel (or
fs) related.
I think it is a system problem, but I fall short of ideas how to fix it.

> What are you using for your partitions under test?

Currently, I have /dev/sda5,6,7,8.
I used to work with LVM, but lstat64 didn't like the /dev/mapper links,
so I switched to raw partitions.
Although I was puzzled that xfstests could not work over LVM partitions
It could when I changed lstat64 to stat64, but then I changed it back
thinking it was causing my problems.