Re: 2.6.39-rc4+: oom-killer busy killing tasks

To: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 2.6.39-rc4+: oom-killer busy killing tasks
From: Christian Kujau <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 22:51:17 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: LKML <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 at 09:46, Dave Chinner wrote:
> I'd say they are not being reclaimmmed because the VFS hasn't let go
> of them yet. Can you also dump /proc/sys/fs/{dentry,inode}-state so
> we can see if the VFS has released the inodes such that they can be
> reclaimed by XFS?

Will do that.

> BTW, what are your mount options? If it is the problem I suspect it
> is, then using noatime with stop it from occurring....

# grep xfs /proc/mounts
/dev/mapper/wdc1 /mnt/backup xfs
rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,attr2,delaylog,noquota 0 0
/dev/mapper/wdc1 /data xfs ro,relatime,attr2,delaylog,noquota 0 0

The "/dev/mapper/wdc1" is a dm-crypt device on a ~1TB external disk
(via FireWire). The 2nd line in the output above is a bind-mount from
somewhere below "/mnt/backup".

I'm currently trying to reproduce the problem again and see if the
{dentry,inode}-state output reveals any more information. After that, I'll
try with noatime.

Thanks,
Christian.
--
BOFH excuse #115:

your keyboard's space bar is generating spurious keycodes.