Re: xfs_repair segfaut in stage 6

To: Bartosz Cisek <bartosz.cisek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfs_repair segfaut in stage 6
From: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 08:38:42 -0400
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 10:43:37AM +0200, Bartosz Cisek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently we had some problems with 2TB partition using xfs.
>
> I/O error in filesystem ("cciss/c0d5p1") meta-data dev cciss/c0d5p1
> block 0x120a0       ("xfs_trans_read_buf") error 5 buf count 4096
>
> At first I suspected failed hardware, but disk array wasn't reporting
> anything.

But that error really means that we got an error from the device.

> Distro (Debian 5.0) version of xfs_repair finished with segfault. Same
> with compiled from git. I filled bug report [1]. Can someone possibly
> look into it? As it's hadoop heavy replicated partition I keep it only
> to provide additional information to resolve this segfault. I would be
> happy to provide as much detailed info as required, but I need to know
> what :)

The above pretty much guarantees a hardware (or maybe driver) issue,
as XFS only gets the EIO from the lower layers.

Of course that does not mean that xfs_repair should crash.  I'll look
into it.  As already mentioned a metadump image would be very helpful.